Version 2.0.3 now available!
After struggling to find a solution to the problem of unwieldy tag clouds, I created a WordPress plugin to display my tags as a dropdown list. You can see it in action in the sidebar at http://disparate.info/.
For version 2.0, I completely rewrote the plugin and added support for all public, non-hierarchical custom taxonomies in addition to post tags. I also removed support for WordPress 2.7 and earlier.
Version 2.0.3 of the Taxonomy Dropdown Widget features:
- Ability to specify label shown above dropdown;
- Ability to trim long tag names to fit within sidebar;
- Ability to specify indicator that tag names are truncated;
- Ability to display post counts;
- Ability to specify list of tags to include in or exclude from dropdown;
- Ability to specify order tags should be shown in;
- Ability to specify a minimum number of posts a tag must be associated with before it will appear in the dropdown;
- Ability to include tags that aren’t associated with any posts;
- Ability to filter
get_termsarguments for greater control over tags shown in dropdown.
- Function available to generate dropdowns outside of the sidebar.
The function powering the Taxonomy Dropdown Widget can also be accessed through the
taxonomy_dropdown_widget( $options, $id ) function for use outside of the sidebar or in a theme that does not utilize a widgetized sidebar. Details of the valid parameters that can be passed via the
$options array are included in the plugin’s readme file.
Tag Dropdown Widget v2.0.3 is compatible with WordPress 2.8 and higher.
This plugin is available in the WordPress plugins directory at http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/tag-dropdown-widget/.
Donations are gladly accepted via PayPal and are used solely to support development of this and future plugins.